Monday 1 April 2013

Wild Woodland Burger
Once a year my hubby gets Venison meat from some friend who hunts.
Although I am not fond of game, I appreciate the  gift.
The 3 men in the family however, loooovvvee
game.
Their are many men in my circle who do love gamey meats.
I wonder if it's a he-man thing?
My daughter and I would be just fine eating chicken.
Having said that, it is also a challenge to season this WILD meat so that it doesn't taste gamey.
I have added some extra fire to remove that heavier meat scent.
Needless to say the men loved it and it was a
SMASH!
I appreciate the fact that it is free range, no chemicals and very lean and low in fat.
My older son who is a budding foodie suggested I add some ground pork to offset the lean meat so it wouldn't be too dry. I added bacon because they love it and once in awhile it's a special treat.
 

2lb ground venison

1lb ground pork

2tbsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced

1/3 cup onion soup mix
1 tbsp pesto

1/4 tsp black ground pepper

1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup red wine

1 500ml bacon, slivered

8 onion and cheddar cheese buns, halved

Fixings: 3 roasted red peppers slivered, spring mix salad

Chipotle mayo

3 tbsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1 cup mayonnaise

1 tbsp whole grain mustard

In a large bowl mix by hand the first 9 ingredients. Shape into 8 generous patties. Press bacon slivers into each patty.
Cook in a black iron skillet( heavy bottomed skillet or grill pan) preheated to medium high.  Place each patty bacon side down and cook until crisp and dark. Using a spatula turn the patty over and continue cooking until crispy brown on both sides, approx. 15min. total
In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard and chipotle peppers. Set aside
Assembly:
Toast both sides of the buns cut side down, using the leftover bacon drippings.
Spread desired amount of mayonnaise on each bun half. Top the bottom half with a patty. Top with roasted red pepper and spring salad. Place top bun on pressing down.
 
Enjoy with love

No comments:

Post a Comment