Thursday 15 November 2012

Cooking Greens
Athlete's Mix
Cooking Greens
Athlete's Mix
 
 
I love veggies and I hear complaints from many moms it is difficult to get the family to eat their greens!
This blend of veggies covers many tastes.
I first saw Cooking Greens at the Woman's show in Toronto last year and I loved their variety of mixtures.  I especially liked that they took the guessing of how to clean and cook collard greens, kale and rapini. If you are not familiar with these vegetables you would most likely not try them.
 
Many don't know what to do with the stems of these particular veggies! Kale a ruffled green vegetable and collards greens, a smoother large leaf, need to be pulled off of the stem, then cut, blanched and cooked to soften the vegetable. I use the stems when making broth.
 Rapini's stems need to have the outer thin layer of stem pulled off then cut, boiled and sauteed. It is more bitter than the other 2 but, my favourite being Italian. I have been eating it all my life.
 
Cooking Greens has taken the guessing out so you can try a new vegetable without the fuss!
 
Cooking Greens gave me the opportunity to try their product and cook it at home, so I chose the athlete's mix a blend of kale, collards, spinach, red pepper and white bean
 
What a great blend and already cut, blanched and frozen!
I sauteed  an onion and added some cooked rice for a great side dish and any leftovers will be for lunch!
 
1 red onion, chopped coarse
1 500g Cooking Greens Athlete's Mix
2 tbsp EVOO
2 cups cooked rice (I used brown and red)
1/2 cup green asparagus
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
 
In a large preheated skillet add oil and onion and asparagus. Saute and stir until onion softens.  Add the package of frozen mix, season to taste and stir to mix.  Cook for 5min. then add rice, mixing.  Drizzle balsamic vinegar over mixture and stir to mix.  Check for seasonings and enjoy!


My oldest son (22) who I have to convince to eat his veggies, even commented how he actually enjoyed the mixture and "how did you come up with this mixture mom?" was his comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment