Friday, 2 December 2016


 Seafood Salad

 With the Holidays so close by I feel I must share this Italian Seafood Salad with my dear readers.

Although this can be enjoyed any time of the year~
This delicate salad is usually made specifically as an appetizer during special occasions.

Generally my mom makes it on Christmas Eve when Roman Catholics observe the "no meat" guidelines.

I can't wait for Christmas Eve to enjoy all of my mom's delicious Seafood dishes.

Tasty, low in fat and can be made even up to a month in advance if, it is fully submerged in vegetable oil to prevent spoilage, similar to quick preservation methods.

I like to make large batches, enjoying "dipping" into it when I want, to top my salads or just on its own, before it is used for my special occasion.

Here's what you'll need:

Seafood Salad


1 kg of frozen calamari rings
700 g frozen shrimp*
2 ribs of celery or fennel, washed, diced
1 carrot, peeled, diced
1 cup parsley with stems, finely chopped
2 green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp pepper flakes
2 cups white vinegar
1 tsp each salt & pepper
vegetable oil or EVOO

Chop all of the vegetables and herbs.

In a large saucepot of 4-5 cups water add vinegar and bring to a boil






Drop in seafood.
Bring back to a boil and then cook for 2 min.
more.
Taste it to see if you like the chew texture.
Al dente.

Do not overcook or calamari will get rubbery



Drain.
Run under cold water to stop the cooking
process.




Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl and toss together.

Add approximately 1/4 cup of oil, toss.
Adjust the seasonings if needed.

Pack into a non-reactive container.
If you are using it within 2-3 days use EVOO, cover and refrigerate.

~If you are storing for a longer period.
Pack tightly into a glass jar, cover completely with vegetable oil submerging the seafood by 2" of oil at the top level. Seal the jar with a tight lid.~
Refrigerate until consumed; 2-3 weeks only.
Serving Suggestion: Drain oil

*I did not use shrimp at this time but,
I usually do...this is a small batch for me*

*If you "dip" into it...use clean utensils and submerge in oil again, topping with more oil if necessary*


Enjoy with love!




No comments:

Post a Comment