Friday, 18 November 2016

Rosemary Lentil & Lamb Shank Stew








My family loves Lamb and I love slow cooking during the colder months.
How easy is it to braise food in the oven?
It enables me to walk away while food lovingly cooks on low heat, tenderizing and melding all of my tasty ingredients together.
I have never made Lamb shanks and wanted to try this under appreciated cut of Lamb for quite a while.
We tend to stick to what we are familiar with when cooking and that can become monotonous and uninspirational.
As a conscientious consumer, I am trying to use all parts of the animal as a growing movement to get back to basics and emulate what farmers have been doing for centuries, using a farm to table mentality that reduces our Carbon Footprint. Essentially, not wasting any part of an animal that has been sacrificed for our consumption. 
Lesser known cuts of meat are less costly and just as delicious which, fits perfectly with me since I always try to reduce costs when feeding a largish family.
I have decided to add Canadian Lentils to my dish.
Lentils are full of fiber and protein.
They absorb whatever flavours and spices you add to the dish and are very inexpensive.

This enables me to,
feed my hungry family and s t r e t c h the budget,
giving me a 1 pot meal with a side!
The slow cooking of this meal made these lentils so creamy and the Shanks so tender!
It was quite unexpected since I have never prepared them this way.

I served this for guests and family and all were taken aback at how delicious this rustic meal was.

The  New Zealand Lamb shanks which were so
small to start with plumped up, became fork tender and really were a large portion!

This dish is definitely going to be a Cold month Show Stopping dish added to my repertoire of meals.

You'll Need:
2 pkgs or 8 New Zealand Lamb shanks
1 large onion
2 tbsp. EVOO
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into coins
1 celery stalk, cleaned and chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
1 tsp each salt and pepper
1/4 cup Merlot or full bodied wine
2-3 bay leaves

Lentils
2 cup green lentils, picked through
water

Cover the lentils with water, bring to a boil.
Cook on med. high heat for 10 min. Drain

Prep:
Preheat the oven to 350F
In a saucepan, brown all of the shanks in the oil.
Place into large Dutch Oven or Casserole dish.

Sauté the onions, celery, peppers and carrots for

1 min. add to the casserole.

Add precooked lentils to the casserole

Add wine to pan

reduce for 1 min. pour over casserole dish

Add 2-3 cups of water
Add remaining spices and herbs.
Cover and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs until
Lamb shanks are fork tender.
No need to uncover and peak when cooking unless
you need to add more liquid.

Enjoy with Love~

#lovelentils
#halfyourplate

No comments:

Post a Comment