Saturday, 13 February 2016

How to make a
Hearty Beef Stew




In my home stews, are my comfort food.
I can stew them slowly on the stove or in the oven.
I can prepare them and toss the ingredients into a
slow cooker and when I return home...
everything is done.
If the chunks of meat are small enough I can even eat the stew with a spoon~
Shhhh...
don't tell anyone but, when I'm home alone and we don't all eat together...
I curl up on the sofa and eat my stew nestled into my hand! Heaven!
I hope you like this rendition which utilizes
leftover gravy and leftover green stems, which
save on the budget and reduce our footprint on the
planet.

You'll need:
2-3 lbs of stewing beef or veal
2 tbsp. oil
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
2 bay leaves
2-3 peeled and cubed potatoes
1 onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper diced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2-3 peeled broccoli stems and fennel tops, diced
1/2 pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped 
1 tsp chipotle spice
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup red wine
 2 cups leftover gravy


 In a preheated saucepot add the oil and brown beef on all sides.

Add the wine, parsley and bays leaves.

Stir to mix, reduce the liquids for 5 min.
Add gravy to the pot.

Prepare the vegetables.


 Add to the pot.

Stir to mix.
Bring to a boil.
Immediately reduce to a simmer.
Cover with lid, ajar.
Cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, stirring regularly until fork tender and liquids are reduced.

Hearty Beef Stew
Enjoy with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment