Saturday, 19 September 2015



GF Apple Spice Oatmeal Bar




Sugar and Spice and All Things Nice...
 
That is what these moist on the inside and crispy on the outside bars are made of!
 
For me, Autumn is best described as getting ready to harvest produce and fruit.
After my cool walks in the morning,
admiring the fall foliage,
I have loads of canning and organizing to prepare
 to do!
This week we preserved 5 Bushels of tomatoes!
My whole family helped!

The previous week my daughter and I
cooked 3 bushels of organic apples!
 
and

 
a few jars of Grape Jam from my garden!
 
Could this be the source of my fatigue??
lol
I do take lots of time to rest in between these
fait-accompli
 
 
 so...here I am 1 year later entering the
Crosby's Molasses contest
which I took 2nd place last year!
 
 
I saved a basket of these organic apples because,
 I knew, I wanted to make a moist, very nutritious
high in protein bar that reminds me of the tastes of
Autumn.
I tweaked my GF Oatmeal cookie recipe
 


Having accidentally discovered that by adding
molasses, it made this cookie spread because GF sweets don't rise like the goodies using flour
so...
 
I decided to add my apples and more molasses to spread for the desired consistency I needed, 
creating a luscious bar.
My first attempt, I chopped the apples larger and the bar didn't hold well.
Because it is Gluten Free it is more crumbly.
Also the over all consensus was that it was too sweet.
So this is my 2nd attempt and these are really quite amazing. High in protein and it even hides chia seeds; natures Omega 3 and fiber giant.
 
 
It is full of wholesome ingredients.
Rest assured, that the kids coming home from school, who are needing a snack will have
loads of nutrition in this bar.
It is so nutritious you could eat it for breakfast!
I left the apple peel on as it lends colour, fiber and has a certain rustic homemade feel.
Which I love.
I don't like the mechanical look of manufactured protein bars.
Don't these look amazing?

GF Apple Spice Oatmeal Bars
 
Here's what you'll need:
 
2 lg eggs
2 cups oil
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Crosby's Molasses
1 orange zested
1 tbsp. each pure vanilla & cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 cups GF large oatflakes
1 1/2cup flaked coconut
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp. chia seeds
2 cups cored, finely diced Mac's or Ida Red apples
1/3 cup each skor bits, roasted peanuts, chocolate chips, cranberries, raisins
*1/3 cup toasted almonds, chopped*
1 cup quinoa flour
2 cups light buckwheat flour
 
In a stand mixer bowl add, the 1st 7 ingredients.
Mix together well on low speed.
 
Add the oatmeal and coconut flakes mix well.
Continuing on low speed, begin to add the baking powder, soda, seeds, apples, trail mix ingredients, then the flours.
Mix only until no white flour shows.
You can even use a spatula to finish the mixing.
 
 
Drop onto a silpat/parchment lined 16" x 12"
baking sheet.
 
 
 
Spread to the edges/sides with your hands.
Remove any apple pieces from the edges and tuck further in as they will not allow for finished 
sharp cutting.
 
 
Bake in a preheated 350F for 30min
or until an inserted skewer comes out dry.
 

 
Immediately run a sharp knife around the edges.



 Score into even rows.
Then cut through.

 



 Cut crosswise evenly. Makes 24 lg. bars.
They are hard to resist eating right away while hot, they will crumble...but that's ok eat away!
 
Allow to completely cool before lifting out.
They will become more moist the next day.
Wrap and freeze individually for lunches.

*Toast Almonds: While the oven is preheating, place unroasted whole almonds in an oven proof dish. Toast for 10-15min. cool,  then chop.*
 
 

 Enjoy with love!









No comments:

Post a Comment