Tuesday, 26 May 2015

GF Oatmeal & Quinoa Trail Mix
Cookies
 
 
 
As I realize my sensitivity to Gluten is a major concern I am finding it really difficult to find good tasting items to buy because many are quite tasteless, quite frankly.
Being a home cook and winner of many contests it is even more difficult to justify me paying for items that are of inferior flavour and as a fitness instructor I really don't believe I should eat junk just because it is gluten free.
Many items on the gluten free market also lack nutrition and are a waste of calories.
These cookies were an experiment from a basic recipe and I tweaked the ingredients until I found what I liked. In fact changing the sugars, fats and flours gave me different but delicious results every time!
So if you want a nutritional cookie you'll love the recipe below.

Here's what you'll need:
 
3 cup large oatflakes
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. molasses
2 lg eggs
2 cup oil (grape seed, evoo, veg)
1 cup quinoa flour
2 cup light buckwheat flour
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 cup trail mix (or a mix of nuts, choc chips and seeds, etc)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2tsp baking soda
 
In a stand mixer with a paddle blend sugar, oil, eggs, cinnamon, molasses and vanilla.
Add oats and mix just until coated.
 
Tip in flours, baking powder and soda.
Mix only 3-4 turns.
Add coconut and trail mix.
Continue to blend until mixed.
 
Using a 4 tbsp. size ice cream scoop.
Measure out portions and place on a silpat/parchment lined baking sheet.
You should have approx. 32-36 large cookies.
Press them down slightly with your hand.
Bake in a preheated 350F for
15-20 min.
The lighter the cookie the softer.
The darker the crisper the cookie.
 
* I experimented with different oils, the taste and looks were the same but the cost of course is what you can afford.
Margarine can be substituted and the cookie will be more moist but, I don't like the added fat as I was looking for more nutrition.
I also experimented with the flours;
coconut flour can substitute for 1cup of buckwheat.
I experimented with 1/2 white and 1/2 brown sugar and they baked in the round shape they were placed on the baking sheet.
The added molasses allowed them to spread to the shape I was looking for but, either way they were delicious.*
 
Enjoy with love!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment