Thursday, 23 April 2015

Almond Carrot Cake
with
Lemon & Strawberry Cloud Filling
As my hubby's Birthday approached, I decided not to buy a cake but, to take my pans out and give them a dusting.
You see when my kids were young I always
designed Birthday cakes for them.
I remember making Big Bird cakes, The Grouch, Barbie with an actual doll stuck in the top of the cake!....
that one I did many times for my daughter.
They are still popular 20years later!
But, I hadn't made a fancy cake in year.
I didn't think my skills at decorating were still there, truthfully.
But, a lot has changed in 20 years.
We, my hubby and I really don't want to eat too fattening and I don't want gluten as I am very sensitive to it and would prefer not to be bloated!
Basically I want my cake and to eat it too!
So I checked my cookbooks and realized
Europeans have been making gluten free nut cakes for centuries!
This cake is not only nutritious but it truly is delish!
Everyone who saw it and had some loved it!
They didn't even know it was homemade until I told them.
Let's face it with this dwindling art form everyone appreciates homemade goods.
Because nut cakes really don't rise high like gluten does, this is only a double layer.
I just thickened the top layer of cream to heighten the cake.
I used my processor to grated and mix but this can be easily made by hand.
Here's what you'll need:

3 cup Almond meal
3 cup grated carrots
5 lg eggs
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin spice
2 tsp baking powder
lemon pie filling
500 ml Nutrifill tetra
2 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 lb strawberries
1/4 cup dark chocolate
Mix the almond, spices and baking powder into the carrots, tossing to coat.

Whisk the eggs, sugar and oil together.
Fold all of the ingredients together.

Scrape and spread into a sprayed 8" or 9" spring form pan.
Place on a baking sheet or wrap the bottom of the pan with foil to prevent any spills.

Bake in a preheated 325F bake for 40-50min. or until an inserted scewer comes out clean.
Cool for 10 min.
Run the back of a knife around the inside rim.
Unlock and cool completely.
Slice horizontally in half making 2 layers.


Make the lemon filling or pudding according to the directions.  This can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated.


Whip the container of dairy free whipping cream with the cocoa.
No extra sugar is needed as this is sweetened.
Wash, hull and chop strawberries, reserving 4-6 for the top.

Dry the remaining strawberries with paper towel.
Melt the chocolate for 30 sec intervals, stirring until all chocolate is melted.
Dip the strawberries into the mixture and place on a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap to harden.

Spread all of the filling onto the bottom layer of the cake to within 1" from the edge.
Top with the 2nd layer of cake.
Apple a thin layer of the frosting.
Refrigerate to firm approx. 1-2 hrs or
1 day ahead.



Add a thicker layer of frosting to the cake using a cake spatula to smooth the top and edges.
Run the spatula through hot water to clean the spatula. This allows the knife to slide and colours the cocoa.

Place the rest of the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
Pipe a design below and on top of the cake.


 
 
 
 
Make large swirls on top of the cake and place
Chocolate covered strawberries on top.


Enjoy with Love~
 


No comments:

Post a Comment