Tuesday, 2 September 2014

                                                                                   


     Harvest Peaches

It is always sad for me to see summer go...
I love the hot weather and the freedom of being out all day relaxing or entertaining.
This summer here in Toronto
was definitely short and had many mixed weather days~
Not enough hot ones for me!

One of the pleasures of fall weather for me is
Harvest time.
This year I have started the season with
taking a great trip to the Niagara region with my hubby and good friends.
We were lucky enough to hit peach season so....
I bought 2 bushels of peaches.
These are Baby Golds
a large firm peach perfect for canning.
Although this type of harvesting is not for everyone, every few years I don't mind taking a few hours and canning something my family loves to enjoy. 
When this fresh fruit is no longer available in the cold winter months, we can pop open a jar and enjoy the sweet scented fruit straight or over ice cream!
This is an arduous task and did take me 5 hrs. by myself to make! But, I recommend gathering the family to help make this task simpler and faster. 

Lets Begin:
 Wash the peaches with cold water.
Allow to drain.

 Bring to a boil a large pot of water 3/4 filled.
Drop in some peaches.
Enough to bring the water to the top.
Cook for 2 min.
Drain to a large bowl.
Cut or peel off the skin.



Cut into sections, neatly and place in sterilized mason jars.
Fill and pack the jars.
 Place desired sugar into jar.
I used 1/4 cup for a light syrup.
Fill with cooled boiled water.
Wipe top rim and place sterilized lid on.
Screw tightly.
 Place jars in a large pot.
Fill with 3/4 full of water.
Bring to a boil, cover with a cloth.
Boil for 20min.
Cool in hot water.
Allow to sit for 1 week to combine flavours.
Enjoy with love!


No comments:

Post a Comment