Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Creamy Sweet Potato Kugel

 Passover and Easter 
are upon us
This dish has many origins and names from Germany's Rosti over to Eastern Europe as Kugel. I will be making this showstopper as one of my Easter side dishes.
Potatoes are a great comfort dish and generally people make scalloped potatoes as an elegant side but, I can never eat that because it has cream or dairy in it!
Well this colourful dish is "creamy" without the cream!
I have added sweet potatoes or yams as we call them in Canada and this not only gives me a glorious bright colour and naturally added sweetness to this dish but, with 
So Delicious Coconut Cultured "Yogourt"
 
I have added extra nutrition to this tasty dish, lusciousness without the decadent calories!
I pop this into the oven with my other dishes and I have made the Holiday meal easier.
This dish perfumes the house with wonderful cooked onion aromas flavoured with earthy rosemary. A rustic dish with flare~
I hope you love this one as much as my family does.

Creamy Sweet Potato Kugel

 
 6 russet or yellow potatoes, peeled
1 large yam or sweet potato, peeled
3 small onions, peeled
3 tbsp flour or matzo meal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 cup Cultured Coconut, Original
*2 lg. eggs
3 tbsp EVOO or melted Smaltz
Smatlz is rendered chicken fat made by cooking down the skin of chicken
I make mine with 1 or 2 chopped onions for flavour

Prep:
Shred the potatoes and onions on the grating disc of the processor or use the large holes of a grater.
Place into a large mixing bowl.
Sprinkle the flour, salt, 2 tbsp oil and rosemary over the mixture.
Whisk the yogourt and eggs together. 
Pour over potato mixture and knead together with your hands thoroughly.
Grease a large black iron skillet or oven proof pan with the remaining oil. Pack the kugel into the pan evenly.

 Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 1- 1.5 hrs. until golden brown on top.
Serves 6-8
Enjoy with love!
*Vegans: leave out the eggs and use only the EVOO to make Rosti

 

No comments:

Post a Comment