Thursday, 6 February 2014

Wilted Warm
Winter Salad

How are the New Years
Resolutions  keeping up?
Well I have realised you can't deprive yourself because life is too short!
Now, I compromise.
I eat my meals nutritionally, making sure I have all the vitamins, minerals, protein, veggies and good carbs I need to have in a meal and then a few times a week (not everyday) I have dessert/treats.
So,
What does the spectacularly coloured salad above have to do with dessert?
Nothing!
Let's get back to your New Years Resolution.
This salad came to me from the blistering cold storms we are having hear this winter.
I love salad but, it just doesn't cut it when you want warm comfort food.
So,
I decided to saute the strong greens from the cabbage family and add it to my salad and guess what?
I came up with a delightful
 
Wilted Warm Winter Salad
Low in fat and delish!
Its texture is chewy and yields really nicely without being a cooked veggie.
Look at it's glorious colours. The raisins and cranberries make the dressing sweet without adding extra sugar. The red cabbage bled and take a look at the colour of the dressing!
It's a gorgeous fuchsia,
Bonus
This makes one but you can make it larger

1 cup thinly sliced nappa cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
few pieces of cucumber and tomatoes
a sprinkle of raisins and cranberries
a sprinkle of toasted nuts
1 tbsp each EVOO & white balsamic vinegar
 
Pour oil into a medium high, preheated skillet.
Toss in the nappa and red cabbage.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper
Toss with tongs for 1 min.
Sprinkle balsamic over greens and turn off the burner.
Add spinach to a plate, top with wilted salad.
Sprinkle with raisins, cranberries, tomato and cucumber and nuts.

Enjoy with love!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment